Thursday, January 26, 2012

5 cent scrap of fabric

During my weekly tour of the local op shops, I was lucky to spot a wee scrap of fabric that has two beautiful horses on it.  Horse fabric is so hard to find and to find this scrap and only costing 5 cents was like winning lotto.

I am not horse mad by the way.  I had horse mad friends growing up and did try to learn how to ride. Unfortunately one of my friend's had a fat and obese horse named "Star" who deliberately stood on my foot and refused to move.  Nearly broke a bone in my foot.  I chose motorbikes thereafter.

My school mate is now my sister in law and had passed her mad fetish onto my darling niece Becky.  So the fabric had to be "got" and a bag made.
Here it is:



A little close up



Interior with another horse on the pocket


Check out the handle on this bag.  I also scored a wooden belt  and turned it into the bag handle.  Compliments the cowboy/ country look doesn't it?



This wild duck followed me up and down the riverbank while I was looking for a great photo spot for my bag.  Looking to be fed?  Or is he after his 15 seconds of fame on a blog?  He (or she) is rather cute!  Sadly for him/her I will not feed wildlife.  They need to learn to look after themselves!  Tough love!

Bag pattern information:

This bag was made using a free bag pattern shared by Keyka of Keyka Lou - The sewing blog.  She also generously allows home crafters to make a few to sell on their stalls etc.  I am planning on making one or two to sell using some "African animal" fabric I found with lions, zebras, cheetahs and a giraffe. 

Kind regards and HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!

4 comments:

Vintage Girl/Marivel said...

wow..I really love it !!!Adorable horses.
Great bag and pattern.
Best wishes

Karen said...

Happy Australia Day to you too!
5 cents!!!!! Wowser thats amazing. The bag is terriffic! The wooden belt adds the perfect finish. Goood luck with your bag making.

Merry said...

Oh you are so amazing. Firstly, to find anything that costs only 5c these days is just terrific. You have created the most terrific bag. I bet it was well received.

Jodie said...

Great bag, I really like it and adore the belt handle idea. Well done and thanks for sharing