Friday, June 25, 2010

felted sweater socks

This post will most likely be more enjoyed by readers in the southern hemisphere,  because it's freezing cold here, and I have made the warmest socks ever!


These socks were made from a 100% lambswool jumper (translate: sweater for my American friends).   I found it in a sales rack of a thrift store.  So it was CHEAP.  Also as a jumper it was pretty ugly and unwearable.


I forgot to take a before picture but you can see from the above pic that I just cut off the sleeve and stitched the foot area closed.  I tapered the foot to snuggle around my toes,  therefore trapping in the heat and warming up my feet beautifully!

I hope my daughter doesn't mind I have decided to keep these for myself since she claims to be allergic to wool and I really am feeling the cold lately.  I don't know whether it's old age or if my low blood pressure has something to do with it.  Most likely old age! lol.  I will keep an eye out for acrylic jumpers to turn into socks for my daughter so she doesn't miss out.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Good Morning!
What a wonderful idea! I often see these kind of jumpers in our thrift store...and wonder what I could possibly do with them for a craft project.
It is not cold here in Maine right now....but foggy and muggy!!! Great for our gardens though.
Have a wonderful day!
Blesssings,
Laura

jane p said...

Yep, that's one ugly sweater alright. Oh but how you've transformed it into something pretty. Keep warm.

Kristen said...

I love the socks a whole lot more!!

Karen said...

That's a great idea. What are you going to whip up with the rest of the jumper?

Covnitkepr1 said...

Hi. I came across your blog through another blog I follow and have signed up as a follower. When you’re free, please do visit me and let me know what you think of my blog and leave a comment. If you like, do follow as well. I am always open to great new people and interesting websites. Look forward to hearing from you.

Vintage Girl/Marivel said...

hello,girl:
great idea.
you are invited to my giveaway,
and your friends.
come,please.

Merry said...

You are so very clever.....great looking socks.

Sammy said...

That is very creative. Well done.


-samya